When We Are
Metro Dems meets the second Wednesday of each month at the IBEW Hall, 4315 Preston Highway. Doors at 6:00; program at 6:30. To get to the meeting , enter the IBEW side of the building at Suite 102. Follow the hallway straight down until the elevator, and then come upstairs one floor to the room.
Who We Are
An open, inclusive organization of progressive Democrats that shares ideas, supports candidates, and champions progressive policies.
- To serve as a forum for developing and distributing Democratic ideas and policies among a dedicated and activist membership.
- To build grassroots support for Democratic candidates and public officials who hold Democratic values and positions.
- To positively impact our community through programs and projects that inform and educate about Democratic issues and the political process.
- To support and influence the work of our local, state, and national Democratic party organizations, and to supplement that work when necessary.
The Metro Democratic Club will work to:
- Develop programs and projects that inform and educate members and the general public about Democratic values, issues and policies and help members evaluate their options for participation in a democratic society.
- Develop grassroots projects to mobilize voters in support of Democratic candidates and issues.
- Develop and maintain resources to further the goals of the organization, working through structured committees that report to the Board.
When the Metro Democratic club was organized in 1998, we chose the name Metro because we serve as a magnet for activist Democrats throughout Kentuckiana.Through monthly events, we educate our members on public issues so they can be an informed and active force in local Democratic politics. Our candidate fairs for both local and statewide elections introduce candidates to our members.Through training programs such as “Politics 101,” we educate our members about the political process.
- Made up of elected officers, elected board members, and committee chairs
- Officers: President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Sergeant at Arms
- Board members elected by the club
- Provides oversight, direction, coordination, and continuity for the club
- Directs the work of, and receives reports from, the club committees
Programming & Events/Food Committee
- Determine topics for programs in consultation with the board and other committees
- Find appropriate speakers/presenters
- Prepare publicity before and after an event
- Determine format for presentation
- Manage logistics for meetings
- Introduce speakers/presenters at meetings
- Establish evaluation methods to get feedback from the membership and the board
- Prepare communication vehicles about Metro Dems that can be sent to members and prospective members
- Prepare an audit of current and prospective communication tools
- Consult on training methods for events
- Maintain databases of membership
- Develop and implement a volunteer recruitment process for increasing volunteerism and activism within the club, including a volunteer database for use within the club
- Develop and maintain a web site dedicated to club activities
- Obtain and maintain adequate technology to support all other committees in achieving their goals
- Assess status of current technology, and recommend new technologies for use by the club
- Assist other committees in using technology to achieve their goals
- Support and implement the communication vehicles of the club as needed
- Assess needs for activism and events outside of the monthly program, and discover or develop activities and events to meet those needs
- Determine whether events sponsored by other groups are appropriate for our participation
- Coordinate events for member participation (e.g., rallies, demonstrations) and issue a call for participation
- Encourage members to participate in canvassing and get-out-the-vote activities sponsored by the LJC Democratic Party
- Train members to be effective volunteers in campaigns of their choice
- Develop and deliver training on political topics as approved by the board
- Develop and deliver training as needed by other committees or as directed by the board